Saturday 4 December 2010

GILLIAN WEARING















Gillian Wearing is influencing my ideas a lot since I researched her, her ideas are deep and very interesting. She uses a similar technique with posing but at the same time as making the people pose the way she wants there is an element of her own control in there too.
Above is two images from 'Take your top off 1993' and three images from 'signs that say what you want them to say and not signs that say what someone else wants you to say 1992-3' both images she is exploring different ways to get her subjects to pose. In the signs series she is controlling their pose through getting them to write something they want to write on the card... this will change their way of posing without them knowing it through the words they have chosen.
Wearing also works with a lot of video and sound which is very interesting she stated about a body of work of hers that 'nothing is more alienating to anyone unaccustomed to it than hearing one's own voice played back on a tape recorder. What the apparatus records - what the objectified ''others hear - is not what resonates inside my head when I speak. The recording makes me consious that I have no true voice. Instead, I have two voices that do not harmonise, that contradict eachtoher: an interior voice and an exterior one. Others never hear me just as I hear myself. Moreover, this splitting of the voice, or opacity of voice to speaker, can never be directly represented. I can never communicate to another person the sound of my inner voice.'
This idea is very interesting as it makes so much sense but you never think about it. She thinks outside the box, into the unusual overlooked emotions and ideas we all have, focusing on issues about self confidence and self realisation.
She invited anonymous members of the public to participate in a large number of her projects with signs requesting certain things e.g 'Confess all on video, don't worry you will be in disgiuse. Intrigued? Call Gillian. - 1994.
I love this idea of getting people from the public to participate in these ideas and undergoing the methods and treatments. I might try experiment with this later in my exploration to see what different effects I could get. I would have to plan it down to every small detail.



Confess all on video, don't worry you will be in disguise. Intrigued? Call Gillian. 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment